When I think of Gelatin I think of all my hospital stays.
It was offered at every meal but I never really knew why.
And I never really thought much of it until I found out I had Autoimmune Disease.
When I started researching Autoimmune I found many articles about Gelatin.
So what is Gelatin?
Gelatin is a protein derived from collagen. It is found in animal parts.
It is largely composed of the amino acids glycine and proline.
Its unique amino acid profile has many benefits.
Gelatin is made up of about 98% protein. One of the most valuable amino acids we get from gelatin is glycine.
Glycine is what comprises collagen, which is critical for giving connective tissue throughout the body its strength and durability. Glycine is also important for our ability to naturally detoxify ourselves of heavy metal chemicals or toxic substances we come into contact with through our diet and environment.
Gelatin also contains proline. Some of prolines benefits include:
· Working with glycine to form collagen and connective tissues.
· Assisting in the breakdown of other proteins in the body.
· Preventing decrease of muscle mass.
· Helping with proper muscle tissue maintenance.
· Helping with the formation of new cells.
· Protects the digestive system from permeability.
I take Gelatin every day because of its many heath benefits.
If I skip a day I notice. I have pain in my hands, my stomach aches and I do not sleep as well.
There are many different ways to add Gelatin into your diet.
My favorite way is by blending it into my morning coffee.
It is tasteless. I don’t notice it at all. However, it does coat my throat and that is an added benefit especially during allergy season.
Other ways to use Gelatin include:
- Adding it to a smoothy.
- Making homemade marshmallows.
- Making your own jello.
- Adding it to soup.
- Using it to thicken sauces.
- Using it as a baking binder.
- Add to oatmeal or hot cereal.
- Consuming Bone Broth.
I recommend using gelatin made from pasture raised animals.
Great Lakes Gelatin is an excellent brand and makes 3 different gelatin powders:
1. Beef Gelatin (RED) – This is the gelatin that you’ll want to buy to make homemade jello, fruit snacks and gummies. (Buy it here)
2. Collagen Hydrolysate (GREEN) – This product is water-soluble, which means it can be added to cold liquid and will NOT solidify. (Buy it here)
3. Porcine Gelatin (Orange) – This product is made from pork and is not kosher. It can be used like the beef gelatin. (Buy it here)
I have also used Now Gelatin with great success.
Do you consume Gelatin?
What are some of your favorite ways to use it?
Could you benefit from the use of it?
Comment below with any suggestions or questions.