This post uses affiliate links, they don’t cost you a thing. Read more in blog disclaimers.
Why make your own Laundry Softner?
- Money Savings
- Long Lasting
- Better on the Environment
- Because it’s Easy
Today’s fabric softeners are made of toxic chemicals combined with a massive amount of fragrance. Fabric softener actually makes the material less absorbent, which is not a good thing for your towels, cloth diapers etc.
Toxic Ingredients found in Commercial Fabric Softner:
- Linalool: causes central nervous system disorders and depresses heart activity
- Limonene: a known carcinogen that irritates eyes and skin
- Alpha-Terpineol: can cause central nervous damage and respiratory problems
- Chloroform: a carcinogenic neurotoxin
- Benzyl Acetate: linked to pancreatic cancer
- Ethanol: can cause central nervous system disorders
- Benzyl Alcohol: respiratory tract irritant
These are not chemicals you want to put on your skin, or breath in.
Avoid these by making your own fabric softener.
The cost of Homemade Fabric Softener.
I paid $2.48 for a gallon of vinegar. The Essential Oil I already had and is optional. It’s about .05 cents per load. You will get 64 loads out of a gallon.
For the quart size version, you will get 16 loads. It is about $0.80 for a quart of vinegar. This will also come out to about .05 cents per load.
Moma♥Thrift’s Fabric Softner
Simply add 1/4 cup per load to fabric cycle dispenser.
For Smaller Recipe
1 Quart Vinegar
5 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
5 Drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
This DIY Fabric Softener will keep your clothes wonderfully clean and smelling fantastic without the toxic chemicals.
It’s frugal and it will keep your machine clean.
Do you make your own Fabric Softener?
Could you benefit from this?
Use this alongside Moma♥Thrift’s Easy, Non-Toxic, DIY Laundry Detergent.