This post uses affiliate links, they don’t cost you a thing. Read more in blog disclaimers.
Why DIY Deodorant?
Because most store bought is TOXIC!
- Parabens; often used as a preservative. Mimics estrogen and disrupts hormones. Can contribute to breast cancer. Check out what Dr. Mercola thinks of Parabens here.
- Aluminum: acts as a plug to clog pores and blocks sweat glands to prevent sweating. Aluminum can mimic estrogen and if you have a hard time processing estrogen correctly it can cause breast cancer. Aluminum has also been linked to Alzheimer’s.
- Talc: use is linked to endometrial and ovarian cancer. Talc exposure is associated with mesothelioma, a tumor of tissue lining organs such as the lungs, stomach, and heart.
- Triclosan: Can cause skin irritation and contact dermatitis. FDA lists it as a pesticide. Kills good bacteria. When triclosan is combined with water it can also create a carcinogenic gas called chloroform.
- Steareths: additives that are products of ethoxylation, which simultaneously produces carcinogens and dioxanes.
- Propylene Glycol: can cause delayed allergic reactions, and is considered a neurotoxin, which may cause kidney and liver damage.
- Triethanolamine (TEA) and diethanolamine (DEA): chemicals that can seep into your skin and affect your liver and kidneys. In fact, they’re so harmful that these two chemicals have already been banned from products in Europe because they are known carcinogens.
- Fragrance: skin irritation, harmful to the environment, allergies and organ system toxicity.
I was not a DIYer until I had kiddos and I realized the importance of what we use on and in our bodies. I have watched so many loved ones fighting cancer the last few years and I believe it is so important for us to learn to prevent and take care of our bodies now so we do not have to go through treating cancer later. Why are we throwing so much money at a cure when we could be educating ourselves on how to prevent cancer?
DIY Deodorant is super simple. My 10 year old can make it and loves helping. You get to pick the way you would like it to smell. And it is super affordable.
So what do you need for DIY Deodorant?
Moma♥Thrift’s DIY Deo
2 Empty Deodorant Containers
1/3 Cup Coconut OIl
1/3 Cup Arrowroot Powder
2 TBSP Baking Soda (1 if you are sensitive to it)
3 TBSP Beeswax
15-20 Drops Essential Oil of your choice tho I recommend adding Tea Tree
(For mine I like Grapefruit, Lemongrass, Rosemary. The boys like Cedarwood. Frankincense and Rosemary)
Melt coconut oil and beeswax in a small saucepan over low heat. (I like to use a metal bowl inside a pan of water, like a double broiler to make it easy to pour later) Stir continuously until melted. Once it is completely liquefied take the mixture off the heat and stir in the remaining ingredients. Pour into empty deodorant containers and allow to cool. I like to sit them in the fridge to help them set.
Use as you would any other deodorant.
Do you make your own Deo?
Could you benefit from making your own?